shinyruby

a pretty in the city gal on her way to debt freedom & healthy living a day at a time, who fills her time with yoga, music, books, baking and much much more. won't you join her?

Saturday, April 14, 2007

My foot isn't that big?!

Well, yes ma'am, it actually is.

I admit it - while I'm very much a fan of the environment and use my green bags to go shopping amongst other things, I still have quite a large environmental footprint. I love my clothes dryer. I catch (too many) taxis and eat too much take out that I bet a very small percentage of is locally produced. The list goes on.

So here is a bit of a committment (do you like that, a bit?) to start living in a more compact friendly lifestyle from now on. I have hesitated at making this semi-commitment before, because I know that I'll not be as great as some, I know I'll leave some of my habits open for ppl to pick at. But you know, like Ghandi says - Be the change you wish to see in the world. By doing one small change, hopefully it will make an impact somewhere along the line.

And if I slip up, so be it. I'm human - and I hope someone learns from my mistakes!

First baby steps:
* No spending this week - except for essentials (toiletries) and food. When purchasing though, it must be mindful. Oh, and this means no alcohol too.
* Cut back on using my clothes dryer. This will be tough. I live in a small unit, and have a busy life. But I've done it before and I'll do it again.

Stay tuned...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I fell over backwards when I calculated my ecological footprint, and I thought I was doing the right things! It's bizarre, I catch public transport or walk to most places. If I ride in a car (about once a week), it's never by myself. I don't have a clothes dryer or air con, recycle, try to grow things in the garden I'll use, switch everything off properly and leave nothing on standby. Yet it would still take three earths to sustain me if everyone lived like me. Sheesh.

I should give compacting a shot. A friend of mine had a market stall yesterday, I'm inpsired to do something similar.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger shinyruby2 said...

i know what you mean :) I found that I had a much bigger footprint than I was expecting.. but you know, I suppose regular living takes up resources. It's not something that is just an endless supply - so I guess we're learning.

eep, it's not as simple as we thought!

x

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger El Goober said...

I read that Gahndi quote on my calendar on Friday!

So how do you actually calculate this ecological footprint?

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Yeah, how do you work out your footprint? Is there a link? Would love to know :-)

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Picasso's Muse said...

Give up all meat for good I tell you!! They go on about flights but they don't talk so much about the massive carbon impact of the agricultural sector. Whoops - was that my soap box I just fell off??!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home