shinyruby

a pretty in the city gal on her way to debt freedom & healthy living a day at a time, who fills her time with yoga, music, books, baking and much much more. won't you join her?

Friday, December 08, 2006

Thursday thoughts....

I feel like mashed potatoes.

I haven’t had a good plate of mash for ages. Clems (King St, Newtown) mashed potatoes with gravy, this is seriously to die for. Perhaps cause it’s summer her (though sometimes it’s hard to tell) one could understand why I’ve not indulged in the creamy mash, but it’s been hanging around for a while and I might just have to bite the bullet. Hmmmm… gherkins dipped in mashed potatoes – my sister could never quite figure it out, but I’m sure there’s some of you out there that can appreciate the weird blending of hot, cold, creamy and crunchy together? Yum.

Anyway, I guess I thought of mash because I was reading The Food Whore (so good) and she is mentioning all these American Christmas parties… just like my pal, staci, who is having a white chrissy back home in the US.

And all this talk of weather and continents and travel just makes me want to get my butt into gear and go away…. Over the seas, across the hills, far far away. I guess really, I’m just sick of coming to the end of the year and finding myself with the same thoughts as the previous years combined. Still broke, still in debt, still unsure of where and what I’m doing.

I used to be good at saving but it’s all turning pearshaped again – I know I had a year off and struggled with debt and sickness and so forth, and shouldn’t forget that I still managed to pay off one credit card and get the others mostly current. But I feel like I’m floundering again. Really floundering.

I just don’t know where my money goes. It’s scary. But if all goes to plan, I should be able to have $1000 in the bank in savings (ie. Not to touch!) by December 30. That will be the most savings I’ve had for hmmmm years. So I need to try hard.

*sigh*

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger yinyogi said...

Try a computer budgeting programme. I'm using liquid ledger (mac though) and the charts and entries are being really helpful. I too have lots planned for 07, and loads of debts to pay off first...maybe we can do it together, a team effort!

Don't worry about being so introspective...its that time of year!

xx

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger swirlyange said...

Well missy it sounds to me like you've made GREAT progress this year. Sure, you may not be quite where you want to be but you've paid off a whole credit card! That's huge! Things are moving in the right direction sweetie and thanks important xo

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Mary said...

WOW so inspiring girl, I keep thinking about my money situation too now and think, what would Shiny do before I pull out the card? :-)

Mmm, mashed potato...and gherkin? LOL must be a European thing because I've got lots of weird combinations too.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger chunkytoast said...

love the Food Whore, thanks for putting in the link. American Xmas food, mmm how about a ball of cheese spread covered in chopped walnuts, apply to Ritz crackers and enjoy with cheap wine!

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were craving potatoes too! I've been sick for the past week, and I was craving roast potatoes so much I sent the boy all over Newtown looking for them - and he came home with a bag'o'Clemtastic goodness! Small world...

I've missed your blog missy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home